Saturday, February 14, 2015

Hugo Ball

"I don't want words that other people have invented. All the words are other people's inventions. I want my own stuff, my own rhythm, and vowels and consonants too, matching the rhythm and all my own." 
- Hugo Ball (Dada Manifesto, 1916) 


This quote to me represents someone with characteristics of a strong minded individual. Someone who does not simply conform to society but what’s things done his way, an individual with self identity and self worth; who takes pride in his work and always does his/her best, a leader, not a follower. You can see why Hugu Ball was a strong supporter of Dadaism, because with Dadaism it was sort of a new language, new words, new consonances that people had to try to understand. People used Dadaism to break away from the stringent aspect of “how things should be”, instead they intentionally made things “how they should not be” and made it intentionally “ugly” forming perfectly imperfect art. This quote symbolizes Dadaism to me and Hugo Ball got what he wanted, “his own stuff” out of it. I agree with this quote and it actually made me think about the present and how it relates to what I see. I think people now more than ever are trying to be their own person. People are constantly trying to stand out as an individual whether its through their music, writing, film making, teachers. To give you an example there thing gentleman on the train station who makes music out of pipes, he draws an overwhelming crowd because what he does if so unique, sometimes im even late to where I want to go because I can cut through the crowd. To me that is a representation if Dadaism and this quote. 

No comments:

Post a Comment